PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 12:02
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
There is a special place in hell reserved for people who provide disinformation.
We are not talking about jets or people in twins breaking off an IFR approach.
We are talking about a single engined VFR aircraft.

The issue here is the trim change involved in the worst case scenario. That is the transition from full flap descending flight on the back end of the drag curve with minimal power, to firstly arresting the descent and then climbing away.

I don't give a rats @ss about the subtleties of IFR flight, turbine flight, jet flight , etc.

The reality is that depending on the load. C of G, flap and trim setting etc. The load on the control column in a go around will change very markedly very quickly. Add to that a yaw to the left in some aircraft under some situations.

It is simply foolish not to practice this standard and unremarkable manouvre - the go around, under the worst conditions possible, to wit a situation requiring full throttle under the worst configuration, loading and CG conditions possible.

As I said, t almost cost a mate and his family their lives, and even a C172 will exercise your muscles until you get it configured to climb.

To any students.......... don't listen to crap posted here. Do what your instructor tells you.

I speak from the experience of a stack of military (army) exercises that always finished just before the vinegar stroke.

To put it another way Sunshine, go and get your favourite aircraft, and if you haven't done it before, load it to the full aft CG and configure it for a short landing at close to max. weight and do a full throttle go around from about ten feet.

What happens next might surprise you if you have only done the "simulated" part throttle go around.

Do it balls to the wall as if you meant it.

Last edited by Sunfish; 19th Dec 2007 at 12:12.