PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 11:08
Nannybot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTVA radar

Having said that, if this 'rumoured' move was to take place, the Teesside ATC staff morale would undoubtedly suffer (sounds like it already has).
You're not kidding. My contacts at the airport are telling me that most of the existing radar controllers are actively looking for work elsewhere. The management have failed to grasp that the controllers are there only because they want to live in the area for family or other reasons. Many have only stayed, despite, not because of, the management for these reasons. If the only options put to them are to remain at DTVA as a "tower only" with a massive pay cut, or be forced to move to Liverpool, most would find work elsewhere. The uncertainty is causing massive resentment.

Apparently there is also some doubt that it would save money, as has been alleged by the group's ATSM, when the cost of moving all the information required is factored in. This would allegedly require about 10-20 private wires (priority telephone lines), each of which would apparently cost £10,000 - £20,000 per annum.

Then there is the "putting all your eggs in one basket" problem. What happens if something causes ATC at Liverpool to close, (fire, power failure, etc)? All 3 airports would be affected. With independant units the disruption would be minimised.

The subsequent departure (not to LPL) of experienced staff and their invaluable local knowledge would surely be cause for concern.
If only it were. From what I've been told the management are adopting the "head in sand" viewpoint. They only seem to be concerned about "bums on seats" rather than recruiting suitably qualified and able controllers. The only recruits that they have managed to get recently are only qualified to do tower. If these people ask about radar courses they are told that they would only get them if they move to Liverpool.

My contacts are telling me that if this is not resolved soon, within eighteen months or so there will not be enough controllers to keep the airport open for the hours that the management want.

Apparently a number of the senior controllers have told the ATSM this but he refuses to see that there is a problem

Last edited by Nannybot; 19th Dec 2007 at 11:45.