PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Airborne delay - poor information
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 09:48
Sean Dell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Airborne delay - poor information

Guys and Gals - please could someone explain.

Now as a pilot based at LHR - I am well aware of most of the nuances of delays and their causes at LHR. Any mention of FG/SN strong winds etc and I'm sticking the gas on.

However, lately - with pretty reasonable weather, there have been some puzzling delays. Yesterday for example (Tues) - was told on first contact with London that some holding (10-15 mins) and to slow to holding speed. When at LAM told to expect 15 mins TOTAL delay. Now my understanding is that some of this delay would have already been absorbed into our linear holding (ie slowing down along way out). Anyway imagine our surprise when after 25 minutes in the stack we were finally allowed on our way. We were told that this was due to strong upper winds on the approach. 5 mins later we were flying our approach in 'not very strong winds'.

So what's going on guys? We all know to expect some holding at LHR - and we know that when you say delays 10-15 mins - then that's what they will be. And when you give us a reason for the delay - it's usually correct.

So what is it - staff shortages? I'm confused.

Sean

ps - nearly achieved the impossible inbound from BRU the other day. LAM3A became BIG1E and then OCK to hold. Was hoping for a final trip to BNN for a full house - but no luck!