PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices’ impressive US Class D towers
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:27
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Tch Tch Tch...Again....

'Holy **** BATMAN' = Gee Dick = Just W H E R E do I start???

FSO's with RADAR??

We did actually try for that one, ...BUT.....the ability for FSO's to give the 'Directed Traffic Information Service' was not really in doubt - we would much have preferred to have the facility so that we could then give MEANINGFUL DTI - instead of simply relying on pilots to report positions 'ON TIME' @ a Location!!

Some pilots were not entirely 'honest' , as you can well imagine......
e.g. I said I would be there at time ...36...so, at time 36 I made the call...your honour!!!

Services were then provided with a VERY CLEAR CUT BOUNDARY - CTA / OCTA!!

Easy!!!!

Let the ATC's actually control those acft in CTA, and....wait for it......I know its gunna hurt to hear it......but.....then those 'pesky' FSO's could actually provide the Directed Traffic Info to those OTHER acft which were actually flying O C T A, and on ANOTHER FREQ so that there would be NO CONGESTION!!!

You see, we all know that FSO's were never actually employed to 'CONTROL' acft, just to provide the filling in the 'gaps' of info to the then MAJORITY OF AIRCRAFT - FOKKERS, PIPERS, CESSNAS, BEECH QUEENAIRS, and the like - who were then the MAJOR OCTA RPT & CHARTER OPERATORS.....operating into the majority of OZ airspace........you know, away from the "J" curve??? Excuse me, I'm shouting now......

Now, we have mostly high-flyers (Turbos) doing the same work. (IN CTA...UNTIL they DESCEND.....) So the times, they are a'changin'.......

Now, I realise full well we ain't goin' back - but - when you realise what we HAD vs what we've GOT....welll....I have to ask ya....WAS IT WORTH IT???

Considering that the $$$'s go back to the GOVT Consolidated revenue to finance whatever..... BUT NOT TO IMPROVE the present 'SYSTEM' ...or lack thereof????

All to save a few bucks at the coalface.....

And, not forgetting, then, as is now, very little of that magic RADAR away from the "J" curve = the rest of OZ!!!!

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 19th Dec 2007 at 08:49.