PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 08:01
ScottyDoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks, Shorvath...

Wouldn't you say the go around was initiated while the a/c wasn't properly trimmed ie pilot considered that using full power would require greater force (probably previously not experienced) to maintain control?
Why wouldn't the aircraft be properly-trimmed (~65kt @ 500ft/min ROD) prior to go-around?

Or did you mean not properly-trimmed for a go-around? Who pre-sets go-around trim during a landing, just in case of a go-around???

The pilot in this example above took-off in an improperly-trimmed aircraft - full nose-up trim, I gather.

I dunno, maybe youse are right and we all need to cater for the most unlikely situation possible, which might be: "finding yourself" (the way she did) at a very high-speed, with full nose-up trim applied and a very high power setting, all three pushing the nose up with greater force than you can counter, and unable to remove a hand from the yoke to trim or adjust power. Or should we just check the trim setting prior to take-off (as per training) and maintain awareness?

But as far as I'm concerned, in a go-around, you should be able to handle the forces involved (as the manufacturer intended) or you shouldn't be flying the aircraft.