PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Distance Learning Ground School
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 00:38
mattias424

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxford Aviation Training

Hello everyone!

Iīm attending the OAT distance learning course here in Sweden. And we go completly on OAT and rely on their teachers and site for all the help we need. From what Iīve heard from the other students after just finishing our first 2 weeks intensive session (half through) is that Oxford vary quite a bit when it comes to answer emails. I was obviously the lucky one. I had all my questions answered same day or day after! But some of the students didnīt have the same luck. Some claim they waited for weeks.

Anyway, things to consider when youīre choosing between distance learning and going there fulltime is among other things the following:

* Do you have good enough studying technique?

* Do you have approx. 25-35 hours aside per week to study?
(I for sure can tell you that the recommended minimum of 15 hours are easily exceeded, some weeks you need more than others but be realistic).

* Do you have the choice to go fulltime? That means can you afford time off or leave from work for 7 months?

* If you go to fulltime you get alot for free, fast answer of questions and for many like me for example you get the discipline, you got to attend the classes.

Well having all that said. I just have to say itīs really a shock when you get all your study material. 45 kilos of books and papers!
Iīm not kidding! I had to put the box on the scale here!

The DHL guy that delivered it here to my door asked what was in it so I told him and he just couldnīt believe it.

Anyway in my case I think the teachers that I had during my first 2 weeks intensive course have overall been great. I never had the option of joining the 7 month fulltime studies at the school because of work. And of course I canīt quit working either since Iīm the one supporting us (my wife and me) since sheīs still studying as well.

The only thing I heard about Bristol is that their questions are very similar to the real exam ones.

Best wishes no matter which way you choose to go.

In the end it will be your own determination that will get you were you want.

Flying is living and living is flying.
// Mattias