PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAN Ecuador, a crapy place to fly!
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 23:37
EagleA25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The dues' and the don'ts...

OW, Richard...
I agree with both of you. LAN is what you make of it, and a LOT of our (LP) colleagues made VERY good on it. They quadrupled their income by switching to companies in the Middle East or Europe where LAN is well known for their high standards in the training department.
To FlirCAT I would like to mention, that, like it is in almost every part of the aviation industry, if you are new to the business, you have to "pay your dues". Badmouthing something you can't change, don't like or just simply hate will not only make you unhappy and disliked, but in the long run, unsafe.
Now, remembering the beginning, I have friends who started their careers about the same time as me, and they still fly around in carriers like American Eagle or Continental Express as FO's on EMB's or Turboprops, were as I have been flying Wide-Bodies for the last 5 Years. Things in S. America are the way they are, and it will take Generations to change a system that has established itself for Generations. The commercial flying community here is extremely small, and I would not be surprised if the total of all of our holding pilots would just about make up half of AA’s pilot pool.
It isn’t perfect, but being 48 years old as an FO in a major carrier like AA to gain access as FO (!!) on Wide bodies is not the right thing either.
I also highly agree with Richard on the following: the training aspect in this company is second to none in the Region. Especially at a time when other Airlines cut back on Training to safe money, LAN maintained a very good standard (Simulators, Ground School etc…) even in an environment that can be described as an explosive expansion. Additionally, LAN had to overcome political problems in the region, and fierce competition from Brazil.
Is everyone happy on how things go? Not at all, of course! I for my part expected more, too, but flying an airliner is nowadays nothing more than a way to a paycheck. It’s the same everywhere else! And just like Richard said, if the grass is greener on the other side, then… or is it now? You need to know what you want... and that is sometimes not so easy...

By the way, LP is passively recruiting, and the minimums in Peru are citizenship and a CPL IFR for FO’s. If you have 4000 total, 2000 in Multi-Crew and Command experience you might be considered for the left seat. At the moment direct entry to the 767's left seat for full time employment is not possible, but the market is very volatile. Things here change on a day-to-day basis, and it would not make many of us wonder if things change rapidly. As soon as some of the new aircraft in the Middle East come to fly, the Emirates HAVE to recruit agressively, opening up spots for UPG's
Happy Landings…

PS Recommend a little light reading to Flircat called "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne...