PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices’ impressive US Class D towers
Old 18th Dec 2007, 22:25
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Peuce, it was not so much that I “failed in getting radar made available to FSOs” but the fact that it would have been ridiculous. We would have ended up with a totally duplicated system with two different unions, and aircraft in all of the low level radar airspace would not have been provided with a separation service – as FSOs are not trained to “control” aircraft.

Are you then going to suggest that I should have got the FSOs a rating so they could “control” aircraft but still be called FSOs?

The fact that FSOs keeping their airspace lowered safety is self-explanatory. That is, for two decades the low level airspace which was covered effectively by radar between Melbourne and Cairns was operated by officers who were in a different room and did not have a radar screen. It is pretty obvious that this system lowered safety.

At least we now have that airspace covered by air traffic controllers who actually have a radar screen in front of them.

Now we have to move forward and actually provide a proper air traffic control service in the airspace covered by radar. Then we will really be doing something for aviation safety in this country.

Isn’t it amazing that with over 25 years of resistance to change, we are still only slowly moving forward? I understand that Airservices are planning to do a “trial” of low level Class E airspace at Ballina. Don’t hold your breath though. As I have said, 6 months after it comes in I bet you will find that airline pilots think it is fantastic, wouldn’t want to go back, and find that they are not unduly delayed.