PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London SVFR - all OK?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 21:52
ATCO Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is my understanding that the CAA are trying to dispense with deemed separations, and I do not think that they would countenance IFR routes in a CTR that are not separated by 1000ft or 3nm from the ILS traffic, whatever the current situation. Also geographical separations, and reduced separation between opposite direction helicopters on the routes could not be used between IFR helicopters. There are plans as we know to change the category of airspace in the London CTR to Class C, allowing VFR flight, but even then these aircraft would require an ATC clearance and therefore a dedicated Controller to provide the service so there would still be rare occasions when the service was unavailable due staff shortages.
JimBall, I have given you all the information you require to answer my question and you still miss the point. OK I will pose it again. You have two Controllers available for a Thames Radar and SVFR operation that requires four positions - SVFR, City Radar, Thames Radar, Thames Co-ordinator. These Controllers require legally agreed breaks. (Usually five Controllers are provided). Do you provide the Thames Radar Approach service that is supplied to London City and Biggin Hill under contract, or do you close Thames Radar and provide a SVFR service to a light helicopter that wants to carry out a category Z photography detail in the London CTR? That is the question - pure and simple. There is no poiint bleating on about resources, because as I has said the resources are available. When there is unforeseen sickness something has to give. Try and be objective for once - using your commercial viewpoint which position would you close, Thames or SVFR? Is it better to inconvenience thousands of fare paying passengers or just one helicopter operation?