PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 21:52
boardpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
applied thought...

I should say that I've been bug splatting for a fair few years and am well aware of the "standard" teachings of the go around. I remember reading recently of an accident involving a pilot who was getting endorsed on a particular single engine aircraft that had more than power available than he had experienced in the past. (I'm sorry for the lack of detail; I'll try to dig the article out). Anyways he was allowed out on his first solo and had to go around. Using the method he had been taught as "standard" he applied full power and promptly went nose up and lost control on the aircraft.
The article in question was an investigation into the fact that he "should" have been taught that in that particular aircraft, a full power go around could result in problems in certain configurations.
I guess I'm just trying to say that each approach etc is different and the situation may require or necessitate a different response other than the standard. When on base I always imagine I'm going to have to go around, so I consider cloud base, traffic in the circuit, surrounding obstacles, weight etc and sometimes arresting the decent only, cleaning up and "going around" seems the safer option. I've even seen an occasion where pax don’t even know you've gone around, they thinks its an additional part to the scenic ;-)
Each situation is different of course.

Ready to be shot down...