PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 19:10
Hank Birofski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question from boardpig was "I’m sure there are a few views on this, can anyone tell me if I should be balls to the wall on every go around?"

I think you made a good call Mate. From the scenario you've described a full power go around is making more work for yourself.

To give some background the mob I work for have introduced 'the discontinued approach'. An airline at a major airport had a crew perform a go around when they were within 500 feet or so of the published level off. The aircraft failed to capture the altitude (3000' or thereabouts) and they found themselves at 6000' before sorting the whole shooting match out. This resulted in some avoiding actions and in the wash up The Authority recommended a procedure to adopt when in the same situation or similar. So we adopted it...

It is simply to arrest the rate of descent, set a speed to accelerate to, take away the drag flap setting, start a gentle climb which allows you to retract the gear and clean up in turn. All very sedate and often the punters down the back aren't aware you've 'gone around'. IMHO usable from lighties to transport jets (IAW SOP's, operator approval yadda yadda yadda)

In boardpig's case I like your thought process. Maybe it gave your instructor something to think about...