PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, what's changed?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2001, 10:38
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I know this doesn't belong in this thread but-----!

The Vulcan at Wellington Airport was doing a touch-and -go, but sank short of the runway and severely damaged the port undercarriage. The port wing tip then actually scraped along the runway before the wing was lifted and massive power applied. It was a superb example of brute force and supreme flying skill well desreved of the AFC awarded to the pilot.A Wing Commander?(An RNZAF Sunderland scraped the runway on the same day)

His day was not over however, because he had to land at RNZAF Station Ohakea,90 miles north, on one leg, with a full crew, all of whom had refused to leave the aircraft(though it may have been a bad choice to do so). The canopy was jettisoned and the aircraft successfully landed with surprisingly little damage. It was repaired at Ohakea over a period of some months, and flew back to the UK wearing RNZAF roundels! The crash fire section at Ohakea still carries a photo of the landing,(along with some other remarkable pics).

Incidentally, I witnessed the departure of last ever visit of a Vulcan to OH,(flown by a Flt Lt Hall?) who took off on 09, and turned starboard to come back toward the tower. Straight and level, I swear I was looking down the intakes. Ah, sweet memories!

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: Samuel ]