PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR mixed mode proposal
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 13:26
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a purely tower point of view, to us a LLZ/DME, or a platform height of 2000ft would be great.

Unfortunately, this increases workload for Director, and also means some of the 'deemed separations' below the GS over London wouldn't be available.

If that solution doesn't float your boat, how about specifying no autocoupled approaches to 27L? I seem to remeber flying somewhere in Europe recently where this was being promulgated on the ATIS. I'd rather hand fly an ILS approach which is not too different from the one we have briefed for the arrival runway, than have to rebrief as we leave the hold for a npa for a landing on the departure runway.
Not sure the regulator would go for this at all. There was enough hassle from them with us doing LLZ/DME approaches to a runway where full GP was available. I've also been told by crews that if there is an a/c moving in front of the GP on 27L, it can show up as a full 'fly down' indication.
If there is a bit of spare cash floating around, how aboat a fillet of concrete at S3 to allow traffic to make a right turn here for departure or crossing, and use this as the position for departures from the southside?
BAA having spare cash to spend on airport infrastructure?

When BA moved into T4, I believe a condition was that all departures would be able to depart from S3. When we have had WIP that precluded a full length departure from SB1, lots and lots said that they needed full length.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you also that with the number of flights out of T4 at the moment, it would completely screw GMC2 (121.7) up if S3 was the departure holding point. One a/c waiting there and the whole south side would very quickly come to a grinding halt.