PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disband the Royal Air Force?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 13:18
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
OK I'll bite....

but a serious question about what the remainder of the RAF bring to the table? There’s a lot of shiny, expensive RAF kit not doing very much when that money could be well spent elsewhere.
That would be the Harriers that the government approve the deployment of... If we wanted to send more we couldn't without their approval. That would be the squadron's worth of aircrew and groundcrew which means that they rotate through 1 "tour" in every four (because we only have 4 sqns), so about the same as the army are doing.

That would be the GR4 unit based in ***** and the C130s, C17s, VC10s and Tristars that are doing their best, with ever aging jets, to keep all theatres supplied. And the Merlins, Pumas and Chinooks that are deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq. And the VC10 tankers supporting both theatres. And the Nimrod MR2s and R1s that are operating out of ***** in support of both theatres. And the F3s, Herc & VC10 in the Falklands. And the Sea Kings and Nimrods on UK SAR. And the E3s, VC10 and F3s on UK QRA. And the RAF doctors, dentists, air traffickers, chefs, police, regiment etc that are in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Falklands. And......

So obviously lots of shiny kit (and personnel) "not doing anything". Oh and by the way the money is already spent so it couldn't be spent elsewhere anyway!! Typical green thinking and understanding of air power - again!!

Oh Damn. I was trying my best to keep out of this one as it was deliberately provocative and the usual tripe from the other 2 services.

Merry Christmas everyone, particularly to those stationed away from home this Christmas.