PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close Call - Beyond the Pale
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 12:22
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Close Call - Beyond the Pale

What is the purpose of putting drivel in Flight Safety Australia like the "story" on page 44 of the Nov-Dec 2007 edition?

"when I checked with the Perth weather bureau - forcast to scattered cumulus to 6,000 ft"

then

"Nearing Mt Solus, I observed fairly heavy cumulus directly ahead, and decided to climb above it when cloud enveloped the aircraft very quickly"

what are we supposed to take from this?

1) the nasty cumulus cloud reared up suddenly and enveloped my aeroplane?

or

2) I deliberately flew into cloud!

"within a couple of minutes, I spotted a fairly big break in the cumulus, with the terrain visible below. Turning the aircraft towards the break, we were descending, probably too fast, when we re-entered cloud"

1) the nasty cumulus got me again?

or

2) I deliberately flew into cloud - again!

"my mistake was trying to climb above cloud. I believe it went to 10,000 ft AGL on the day"

Yes, you should never try to climb above cloud! You never know when it will be one of those aggro cumuli (?) that rear up and get you!

"Don't try to climb over the top of clouds - they can rise at an alarming rate. When confronted by cloud, TURN BACK"

How will I know when I am being "confronted" by a cumulus cloud?

Tell me $500 of tax payers money wasn't wasted on this cr*p. A peanut would have been sufficient payment.

Bring back the Aviation Safety Digest, I say!

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 18th Dec 2007 at 13:09.