PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR mixed mode proposal
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 11:02
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonzo

I know how awkward TEAMing can be for you, but there are better solutions than the LLZ only approach. One solution would be for Radar could clear the inbounds to 27L to 2000' then to follow the glide. You would only have to provide GP protection from 6dme then. Surely the added safety benefits would make this worthwhile?

If that solution doesn't float your boat, how about specifying no autocoupled approaches to 27L? I seem to remeber flying somewhere in Europe recently where this was being promulgated on the ATIS. I'd rather hand fly an ILS approach which is not too different from the one we have briefed for the arrival runway, than have to rebrief as we leave the hold for a npa for a landing on the departure runway.

If there is a bit of spare cash floating around, how aboat a fillet of concrete at S3 to allow traffic to make a right turn here for departure or crossing, and use this as the position for departures from the southside?

Returning to potential problems with the use of a monitoring controller. The system is currently used in the USA, but over there the controllers do not tend to use such tight arrival spacing. In my experience it would be rare to have 3 aircraft on approach within 5/6 miles (unless they are doing visual approaches). So, imagine a day when the inbounds from the north outnumber those from the south. 2.5dme spacing is used and a run of 3 aircraft are packed at 160kts on 27R. Meanwhile on 27L there are few arrivals, and the (about to become) villain of the piece is slowing (slowly) from 210kts to 160kts. If this aircraft blunders towards the north, 2 or perhaps extremely 3 aircraft may need to fly a breakout. I do not believe that when the system was devised multiple breakouts were envisaged. To remove this possiblity, the minimum spacing on final would have to be increased to 5/6 miles, in which case we may as well continue to operate dependant approaches.

Having said all that, the incredibly poor quality of transmissions from all TC sectors at the moment makes the whole system impossible. The levels of distortion are too great to guarantee safety for something as safety critical as the use of a monitoring controller.

All in my humble opinion of course.

G W-H