PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importing Motorbike to HK
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 06:48
N1 Vibes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FC

to back up what FR is saying - just the other day a bus driver(perceived to be a professional driver), driving a double-decker, pulled out of a T-junction and didn't see another double-decker that was coming to the side of him. This was a wide open junction, no obstructed view. 2 people killed in one of the buses, the other was empty.

So in a city where there are 4,000 buses alone, not including the 20 seater PLB's which are lethal, as a motorbike rider I would suggest you take a long time to think about importing your bike.

Personally, I am 4 wheel fan and love to drive the occasional exotic - mostly Porsche. BUT, I choose to do this outside of HK, as the standard of driving here is miserable and don't even feel safe in steel box on wheels.
Another testament to the driving standards here are the taxi-drivers, again in London certainly one would view the black cabbie as some of the most reliable drivers in any city around the world. BUT, again, here in HK on the loccal chinese language news every morning they show the previous night's automotive carnage, and you would be amazed where HK taxi drivers are able to wreck their vehicles. Guaranteed their will be one taxi featured in an overnight pile-up every day.

I tried to get statistics but could only get a partial one from Google:

A taxi driver whose blood-alcohol level was nearly five times the legal limit ... there were 2982 taxis involved in accidents in the first nine months of ...
Not sure which year, but 3,000 taxi shunts in 9 months is 4,000 a year.
As your biking friend HKGPEK1 says - and I mean it in the sincerest sense - "Good Luck"

Brgd's

N1 Vibes

PS sorry if this puts the mockers on your plans - but truly the meaning is sincere.

PPS before HKGPEK1 comes back with any comment - I owned a car here and drove almost every day for 2 years. Having driven in London for 10 years before that, quite happy driving round cities. Believe me nothing will get me back on the road here!