PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2007, 02:45
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baulked App

....interesting subject indeed.

Another thing to consider when in the circuit for the purposes of actually landing as apposed to bulked approaches (for the purposes of training) & that's whether or not the airframe is configured for a landing as in gear down (should it be a retract job) & full flap selected. This config requires far more power than say just gear down & perhaps approach flap or even flapless if that's the chosen config. What I tend to do is have a mental picture as to what I would do in the case of a preceeding being slower (which is almost the case most of the time for me) than myself & the likelyhood if I'm faced with having to go-around.
At the 300 ft stage AGL it's most likely that the airframe is configured for actual Ldg (which is what would be in most Co's OPS) & therefore T/off pwr would be needed followed by climb pwr after clean up. In the case of being extremely low for Eg. & go-round is required then flap should be retracted first to say an intermeadiate stage 'cause if a significant sink is experienced then the gear needs to remain down in case an actual contact is made with the rwy surface. Besides full flap usually creates the most drag.
Of course this is all predicated on having all engines available for such an event. S.E situations are far more exact as in full pwr till at a safe height.
It's horses for courses obviously & there's no exact proceedure 'cause there's no exact picture you get in yr mind time & time again. At the endorsement stage both ways should be demonstrated therefore having the candidate aware of the potential differences & results.

My opinion only of course as is everyones elses in here

Capt Wally:-)