PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2007, 21:27
boardpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going around...

I recently had a rather interesting discussion with my instructor about the going around technique. I was doing an endorsement at the time and we came across a rather slow bug smasher in front of us. On the turn to final I knew we would have to go around so, props, mix, etc forward ready for the call.
When it came, I advanced the power to an extent where the descent was arrested and I was able to maneuver off the centre line and then plan my return to the crosswind/downwind.

My right seater immediately called for full power, (which I understand) but I told him we didn’t need it. With two working engines we only needed to arrest the decent not go skyward like a rocket. When I had worked out a visual picture of the circuit etc I then added sufficient power to go where we needed. There were no obstacles to overcome and we still had about 300ft to go.
On the ground, I was told that a go around meant full power, and for the endorsement this is what I eventually did. However, I did remark that a “go around” only implies that you “go around” and therefore you only need to arrest the descent, which means you wont have to fight the trim setting as much and everything becomes much more manageable (you then apply power when you need to climb of course). I also remarked that to try full power in a higher powered twin might make the situation even worse if you instinctively push the lever all the way forward with a high nose up trim.
I’m sure there are a few views on this, can anyone tell me if I should be balls to the wall on every go around?