PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - incident at EMA (midair over Leicestershire)
Old 17th Dec 2007, 13:46
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect sense....

And I agree with Pudnucker. There are lots of nasty narrow corridors which VFR traffic, including especially microlights and permit aircraft are being squeezed into ever closer proximity.

In the dim mists of my youth I read the story by Philip Wills about the battel to preserve the ability to glide from Dunstable as the needs of Luton's traffic became greater.

If I recall correctly, the great and the good from NATS (or whoever) and the CAA plugged on and on about protecting the safe passage of the travelling public.

It was only when Philip Wills said - then who will take responsibilty for the pilots in the uncontrolled airspace that a compromise was reached.

We are getting back to this situation. The commercial airlines want to expand their activities and have persuaded the Govt it is a good idea. Whole areas of airspace are being extended - Coventry has a larger area than Gatwick for many fewer movements. So permit a/c microlights and those unable to equip with the latest gizmos are kept out of new airspace. Mode S will add another twist to this.

As a result there will be many owners and operators being put at greater risk by airspace designers, who are throwing the responsibility back on the pilots.

I hope that this incident (and the one at Brookman's Park) some years ago will act as a wake-up call to NATS and the CAA to ensure that designs allow reasonably-sized corridors - not like the Stansted Gap, Brize/Lyneham/Fairford gap which are hazardous to health