PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thames 'DARLEK' Radar
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2007, 10:30
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BDiONU

DAZDAZ wrote:

It is well know in areas of London ie. Buck Palace/Downing St/MI5 building on the Thames that certain radio frequencies are blocked/distorted for security reasons of which I'm sure you might be aware of the reason for. Next time outside Buck Palace see does your mobile work?
and then you added:

dazdaz provides the more likely and probable explanation.

I appreciate that you know a more than bit about the VCCS and it's associated bits and pieces however I have a couple of points there -

firstly my post was heavily weighted by words which indicated that what I was saying was not the definitive answer, but I can guarantee it is one that is, as I said, being mooted in the OPs room. The veracity of it or otherwise is not within my remit.
This is a rumours and news network so I think it has a valid place here - especially as no one has come across with a definitive answer!

Secondly, are you honestly saying that Dazdaz's explanation is a likely answer? If so, why are frequencies that have transmitters nowhere near the City, and why are aircraft that are mid channel or near Daventry (to name just a few of the geographically distant areas) reporting the same phenomena? It is not by any means exclusively Thames radar that is affected.

Further, if dazdaz's explanation is deemed to be correct, why is it still happening? Playing about with the reception on someones mobile is one thing, however employing measures that have a detrimental effect on the frequencies used by a very busy ATC unit is a whole different ball game.

Finally, again if dazdaz's explanation is anywhere near true, why has it just started happening now that we have moved to Swanwick and are using a brand new piece of kit? It is not something that we suffered when working at West Drayton.

No one is saying that
Rubbish, do you really think that NATS would use a voice comms system which didn't support the task?
What many pilots and ATCOs are reporting is that the sound quality is not perfect or ideal. The fact of the matter is that it is suitable to carry out the task as required, but since when has 'good enough' been good enough?

And finally(honestly this time!) to quote you again

do you really think that NATS would use a voice comms system which didn't support the task?
No, I do not, which is the very same reason why I think that they would not allow

certain radio frequencies are blocked/distorted for security reasons
cheers,

Anotherthing (ex mil aviator, with several 'in depth' courses on electronic warfare under my belt)

Last edited by anotherthing; 17th Dec 2007 at 10:41.