PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - incident at EMA (midair over Leicestershire)
Old 17th Dec 2007, 10:25
Phil Space

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a blue Luscombe based at Abbots Bromley airstrip.
latest here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7147344.stm
Air crash deaths inquiry begins
Police at crash site
Air crash investigators are examining a site in the Midlands where two people were killed in a collision involving two light aircraft.
One of the dead is Peter Leigh, 60, of Baldwin's Gate, Staffordshire, BBC Radio Stoke has learned.
The plane crashed into a field near Blithfield Reservoir in Staffordshire on Sunday.
The other aircraft landed at East Midlands Airport where three people on board scrambled to safety.
Cumbria Police officer Sgt Rupert Johnston was among those to survive.
He said: "We were flying from Cark, near Flookburgh, to Cranfield in Bedfordshire.
"At around midday, as we were flying over the Midlands, we were hit by what we now know was another plane."
He added: "My thoughts are with the families of the two who died.
"We were on a pre-arranged trip with my son James, aged 10, and my friend the pilot Mike Carruthers, who is also from Cumbria."
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) is leading the crash examinations.
Tim Atkinson, of the AAIB, said a detailed technical examination of the scene would take place on Monday. He said it was too early to say exactly what had caused the collision. Weather conditions were clear and visibility was fine.
"Aircraft do collide," said Mr Atkinson. "Mid-air collisions are mercifully very rare, a great deal of general aviation is done on the principle that the pilot keeps a good look-out."
He also confirmed the planes were on private leisure flights and neither was being directed by air traffic control.
Staffordshire Police said they were called to the field off Lea Lane in Admaston where the plane, a two-seater Luscombe Silvaire, came down, about 25 miles away from East Midlands Airport.