PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney airport upgrade will close runway
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2007, 09:43
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yusef Danet,

The 07/25 runway length is what I would call at a critical length. There are many operations which are JUST comfortable with takeoffs at that length. Losing 90m would have a significant impact on operations. Off-load a few passengers here and there, fuel load issues, arthritic 737-400s grinding away on very hot days, etc.

The airport has to accommodate the full range of aircraft types, loads, destinations and runway demands for the next 30 years or more. It is impossible to forecast exactly what is going to happen over that period. But they are faced with the demand now to provide the facilities that will accommodate that unpredictability. Since a 90m RESA has to be provided, the airport has to provide it. The best available knowledge is that losing 90m off a 2530m runway is not an acceptable option. So they have done the only other thing which is to build the concrete RESA.

It’s not my airport, nor my project, but it makes good sense. Speaking as someone who has in some places carved off 90m and called it RESA, and who has in other places extended things and built new RESAs.

Last edited by OverRun; 17th Dec 2007 at 10:28.