PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - incident at EMA (midair over Leicestershire)
Old 17th Dec 2007, 09:20
HeliCraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just going back to the asking for a RIS but getting a FIS point made earlier (although if one of the a/c involved was taking off it does seem to make it a little redundant)....

... I flew the corridor described twice this weekend. On Saturday I asked for, and was given a very helpful RIS by EMA; on Sunday I asked for RIS - was offered "FIS plus a little bit" (controllers words). I was grateful for that alone and made it known so; the controller offered some conflicting traffic information while I was a Measham. I just assumed he was too busy to provide every piece of GA with RIS; I get home to find out he was dealing with this mayday and resultant closure of EMA. I'm surprised he managed to give me any traffic info! First rate job, thank you very much to the controller(s) involved.

Last time I flew there, I asked and was given. Always ask; the worst that can happen is they are unable and you get FIS - but always be grateful for that. If you NEED a RIS then are the conditions really suitable for VFR? (Flying rotary not many of us have an IR, so little flight in IMC!)

Anyway back to the topic....