PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe wants to know whether to take the plunge
Old 17th Dec 2007, 08:08
thesexypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with many points from the above post - you must believe that you can be a competent pilot and get through the day focused.

However, at the end of the day flying is a job and don't be ashamed to take into account practicalities of living style i.e if you want to own a yaht, you'll have problems doing so as a postman, teacher, etc compared to that of an airline pilot in a good company. If you budget correctly and don't have offspring all over the place you should be able to afford a private education for your children (if you so wish), go on holidays that many other families can't afford, pamper you wife (many girlfriends) etc. Make up your own dreams, my list is an example. Money is not bad - its is the corrupt love of money that is a sin and that is the route to complete evil.

Flying should be fun and you should have a passion to succeed as a pilot, but a degree to what 'passion' or love you should have for the job is individual.

I started out quite nervous with my first solo flights and that wore away slowly, now I love it!!! Once you start you'll more than likely get addicted. Best to have some trial flight - set your self the challenge of a PPL and then see how you feel after.

Most people are proud to work long hours on difficult jobs to see the great results at the end - the results could be, for some, putting the food for your kids on the table, and for others a perfect cross wind landing in wellington airport, nz on a windy day (good way to practise!!) A job worth doing is never easy. So don't think this is an exclusive club for all those who are plane geeks and taking aviation magazines to bed with them every night and walking encyclypedias on all things aviation!! If you feel gravitated towards being a pilot - let your self be pulled in and make up the decision in your way. what ever gives you the buzz!