PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ignition Keys
Thread: Ignition Keys
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2007, 00:27
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile Don't be nasty

...he asked a valid question.
FYI... I haven't flown the 777, but have flown the simulator.
Aside from checklists and montoring temperatures and pressures, actual start-up on this aircraft is a relatively simple affair, using a couple of knobs and switches on the o/head panel. No keys.
By contrast, light aircraft almost all have keys, as do many helicopters.
Latest turbine helicopters such as the EC120 have FADEC (Full authority digital engine control) which among other things greatly simplifies the start-up procedure. I think (and any EC120 rated pilots feel free to correct me) you simply press a `Start' button?
Starting older turbine helicopters can be a very expensive business if not done correctly.
Excess fuel can pool in the engine can and then be lit, creating a `hot' start, which can do tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage in seconds.
Which is why if you are sitting next to a helicopter pilot as they start the aircraft, you will see them focusing very intently on a couple of small gauges that show turbine outlet temperature, and turbine speed. You'll hear a whine and a rapid ticking noise as the starter motor spins the turbine and injectors feed fuel into the can. Then the turbine lights with a `whoosh' and the blades slowly begin to spin. Very cool...

Last edited by tartare; 17th Dec 2007 at 00:39.