PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe wants to know whether to take the plunge
Old 16th Dec 2007, 22:06
chrisms86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wannabe wants to know whether to take the plunge

Hello pilots,

First of all sorry, I know you probably see these posts once a week.

I’m starting on my final year of college and have been struggling for awhile to decide what to do afterwards. Most of my plans revolve around me finding work overseas, the option of relocating must always be there for me. I have lived the better part of the last year in Thailand and feel comfortable abroad. Any job or activity that I’ve done, no matter how mundane, I’ve enjoyed perfecting the technical aspects of it to the best of my ability (whether its scuba diving, dirtbiking, or working at a pizza place). For these reasons I’ve settled on a career as a pilot because it seems easy to get my foot in the door in Asia and Africa as a rookie, and later in life options in the Middle East and Europe may become available (I am an American). I also think that I’d be able to apply myself and be very good at the job. I start the first of my last two semesters next month, and I’m considering going all out and taking a loan to start flight training at the airport near my university.

So my question to you pilots is—should I hold back? For someone whose main goal is to be able to live and work relatively comfortably overseas, is this the career for me?

And one last silly question… I am generally not afraid of flying, I’ll continue reading my book as a plane lands and really not feel any more scared than when the plane was on the ground, but on occasion I do get a little worried for one reason or another. Is it possible to be a pilot and not be completely fearless of flying? Or do you lose that fear as you train? Or do you still have it?