PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sciatica
Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2007, 20:03
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Your age will make all the difference to outcome.

If the disc is really herniated, stop the physio until you know what' s going on!! No ifs or buts, just stop. I cannot say enough about some so-called physios that start wrenching away at backs that have a disc with an annular tear. Well, I can, but I would get banned.

This should be taken very seriously. See a neuro/spinal surgeon, and have an MRI.

I have written a fair amount about backs/discs/spines in the last few years. I don't think my opinion has changed much except that I wouldn't use the same traction forces that I launched into while I was learning.

Rest has a lot to do with this problem, and remember, sitting gives the highest core pressures. This is exactly what you want to avoid.

However...there's always a however. If the 'physio' is very highly trained, and has worked alongside surgeons who are monitoring the results of certain manipulations, then there is a chance that they will do you a lot of good. I know when I meet a good one. He asked a lot of questions, and does very little pulling about at the early stages.