PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - *** FLASH *** G-3 down in ASE
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2001, 07:07
rick1128

After reading the previous postings I have a few comments.

First of all I do not believe that they were circling. Where they ended up tends to discount that. I go there on a very regular basis and I refuse to circle my Lear at this airport. Even in the day time. And from what I have seen, most other jet pilots feel the same way. It has been my experience that the tower will only issue circling clearances if requested. Further more if the winds were light like one of the postings suggested, why did this issue even come up?

As for the night part, it is my understanding that there are training, experience and currency issues that have to be met. I normally do not worry about it as I have an understanding with my boss that we do not go there at night. And a further understanding with his wife that she won't let him.

If you think this airport is fun in a jet, you ought to try it in a large turboprop like a CV-580. It gets very interesting then.

Eagle is mild compared to Aspen.

I can not imagine anyone being complacent going into Aspen. Like I said, I go in there almost once a week in the winter, and I am antcy every time I shoot the approach. The approach is one of the most difficult I have ever shot, including Narcy in Greenland.

Unfortunately, it still is too easy to be pushed in the charter industry. It sometimes is hard to say not just "NO" but "HELL, NO"