PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military hospitals, Gordo's reply.
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2007, 13:12
k1rb5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure there are good reasons for and against using the NHS. What doesn't help is that the NHS is so over stretched no-one can rely on being seen quickly for anything other than emergencies these days. This results in people having to pay to be seen privately to get anything done if they are in so much discomfort that they cannot see the waiting list out. I know from personal experience. There was a time when I thought being in the Forces was as good as having private medical insurance. I may have been correct then but, how wrong am I now?

How does it make financial sense to allow someone to be off sick for lets say 6 months costing the taxpayer, lets say around £20k (alot more for some of you) when some swift treatment privately could cost (lets say for the sake of argument)£5k, and he could be effective again inside a month or two costing between 9k and 12k (pay and treatment) and resulting in 4 or 5 months productive service?? After all, aren't we short of manpower and cash?? Should be a no-brainer, shouldn't it??