PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky X2 coaxial heli developments.
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2007, 10:28
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter, this was my error in looking at the profile CAD rendering. The rotors on X2 are, to the best of my knowledge, the same diameter. I believe that same thread cleared that up.

However you have given the nail a glancing blow on the head. Any project of this nature is going to encounter things which set it back. Is that because the engineer's don't know what they're doing? Is that because the timing dates have not been sufficiently agreed. A resounding "NO!!" to both of those questions. This project is pushing the boundaries of what has been done before. Like the NASA space program it has setbacks, of either technical or financial nature, which alter the timing.

Actually, i agree with IFMU that Sikorsky have taken a responsible approach to this project (since there are no waiting customers). Don't forget there are shareholders, and the mightly United Technologies, to satisfy - often these folk do not have an appreciation of the technical difficulties but can understand targets. The compromise is that the project rolls on at a responsible pace, while arbitrary deadlines are set.

We will all be singing the praises of X2 soon enough - let 'em get on with it at a pace which gets it right...