PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spatial Disorientation article in Sunday Age
Old 16th Dec 2007, 05:06
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
■If the pilot is not trained to use gyroscopic flight instruments, these errors build to a point where the plane enters a steep diving turn known as a graveyard spiral.
Basic IF 101... trust your instruments. CASA licence requirements... X hours of IF in the aircraft.

Next time you're on an airliner and neither pilot up front has been instrument trained, well, it doesn't happen does it?

William Birnbauer, I'm fairly certain he's written a few other VERY POOR articles on flying, or other "news" in general.

I reckon I could be a journo today... how's this? [Items in these brackets are editors notes]

BLINK AND YOU MISS IT
by Cap'n Arrr [in the true journalistic style of the Great, Mystical and All-Round Excellent Journalist, William Birnbauer]

Scientific studies have proven that the average driver blinks up to 20 times a minute, with the potential to create a horrific accident involving a busload of orphans, a truck carrying a nuclear bomb AND cyanide, or even a schoolyard of bunny rabbits!

Dr Smithy McSmithson explains: "Well, yes when a person blinks they obviously can't see while their eyes are closed, but..." [cut off before explaining what he actually means]

So according to this highly experienced doctor, every time a driver blinks (especially an under 25 male) they are intentionally blocking out all vision of the road around them. You could be trying to cross the road as one of these hoons approaches the crossing!!!

"Hoon behaviour is a serious problem on our roads," says Police Superintendant John Smith. "We need to take action now to avoid any more horrendous incidents, and we are putting extra patrols out on the roads to help catch hoons" [SupInt talking about an unrelated matter, but lets not let the origin of quotes get in the way shall we?]

According to ATSB statistics, 100% of all drivers involved in collisions, including Bob McBogan, who hit a little old lady at such speed that she struck the substation, shorting out the entire western suburbs of Sydney with her false teeth, admitted to having blinked at some stage while driving.

The sociopathic drivers who blink while driving must be taken off our roads immediately! "It's only a matter of time," said some random guy on a completely unrelated topic. A matter of time indeed.

Blinking facts:
  • If you blink, you cannot see while your eyes are closed.
  • 100% of drivers involved in accidents admitted to blinking.
  • 97% of all sociopathic killers have been observed blinking.
  • Most of the pprune public think William Birnbauer should check his facts before publishing some sensationalist, bullsh** story on something covered in PPL Human Factors.
  • Most jounalists are reluctant to report substantiated, real facts to the public, when bs makes it so much more interesting.
If you know of anyone who blinks while driving, contact The Age on 1800 THE AGE, or email us. More