PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Friday Night Retention Schemes
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2001, 17:43
Jemima Puddleduck

Guys a really interesting thread and one fully in tune with how the AAC feels too. I sat on a Pay Review board last year and one of the main issues raised was the pension issue. However an issue that seemed to escape their attention was the fact that in the army the bulk of all those leaving are in the 28 - 35 yr old bracket and therefore have not reached their IPP. The army basically is in a lose - lose situation with retention bonuses: vis a vie that if you are going to leave you are likely not to qulaify for the bonus and if you have reached the grand old 16 yr point and do qualify for the bonus you had pretty much made up your mind to stay anyway.

So as far as retention goes I wouldn't be surprised if this years incentives have not had a greater detremental effect on those who are in the 28 - 35 yr old bracket and who were in the cusp of the "should I, shouln't I go" decisions - you can bet your bottom dollar that the majority thought "well if I stay there's nothing in it for me anyhow, so I might as well poke off now."

Cynical I know - but reality is far worse than the glasgow & london men tell us. Not only do we not have any aircraft to fly - soon we will have no one to fly what we do have!

Of course there is then the issue of whether retention measures should be Tri-service or should be service orientated to cater for differing service problems....anyone like to comment...?

regards JP

[ 06 August 2001: Message edited by: Jemima Puddleduck ]