PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal Responsibilities of Flight Instructors
Old 15th Dec 2007, 22:24
llanfairpg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Employers insurance and personal liability insurance are not the same thing. The first covers the employers liability for the employees action, the second covers the employees own negligence, in theory.

Self employed instructors are just that self employed.

It is alright saying, i checked him out before solo but when the prosecution come up with a couple of other students you also checked out will they be your star witnesses or in fact your star accusers? You may get by on a day to day basis with mediocre standards but when that prosecution barrister gets up with the AOPA syllabus and his expert witness from the CAA your training standards may not look as good as they do in the club bar.
Some examples of incidents which may attract some litagation.

Your student takes off the door opens and he looses attention trying to close it crashes and is seriously injured. Now the schools quoted above will look at their syllabus to see if that is covered in training--big suprise.

Student has an engine failure on first solo take off turns back to the field and crashes. Can you provide wriiten evidence to support that he was told never to turn back but land ahead(And I know some schools who do not even teach EFATO till after first solo)

Your student has a tyre blowout on TO abandons the TO and crashes off the end of the runway. Can you provide written evidence that he was briefed on this type of malfunction because it is unlikely it is in your syllabus.

Somebody joining dead side runs into your student can you provide evidence he knew this could be possible.

A syllabus cannot provide evidence of the above being briefed and understood but a pre solo test written test(like ours) covers all the things that have happened over the years and not only covers my arse but those of my instructors.

Last edited by llanfairpg; 15th Dec 2007 at 22:37.