PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal Responsibilities of Flight Instructors
Old 15th Dec 2007, 19:45
TurboJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you send a student solo you fly with them and the person who flies with them sends them solo; right then not later. Its not written down anywhere but its the only way you know they are ready and able!
Sorry but I don't understand the above comment.

The fact is, is that instructors probably fly most days. Student pilots probably do not. What would the AAIB or CAA say if an instructor sent a student solo who hadn't flown for six weeks?

I would do some circuits or fly a departure with them and build some confidence in them before sending them solo. It should be written down in a Flying Order Book;

I also wouldn't send a person solo if they didn't have evidence in their log book of having completed PFLs, EFATOs, go-arounds, orbiting in the circuit, stalling both clean and in the approach to land configuration etc etc

Documentary evidence of training isnt evidence of undersatnding and competence,that is the purpose of examinations and tests
Quite right - However, we are talking about absolving the instructor of blame or negligence if things go wrong, so you need 'evidence' of having acted correctly.
- 'if it ain't written down it didn't happen' - simple as that.