PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 17:59
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nabil Haqui Retiring - the end of an era?

I hear that Nabil Haqui, having reached the age of 65, may finally be retiring from Aero Contractors and his farewell bash is tonight. I'm sure he'll stay on in Nigeria in some sort of consultant capacity, but whatever he moves on to, I'm sure I'll be only one of many to wish him the very best for the future .

Nabil has had an interesting and successful career, having started flying as a helicopter pilot in the Royal Air Force. When he left he flew with Bristow Helicopters from Aberdeen and Yemen for a while but probably first came to prominence when working for Schreiner in Iran. After Andrew Pyke was placed under house arrest after the revolution, it was Nabil who kept the company out there going as he was still able to move around. He started his time in Nigeria as a helicopter pilot, but after some years changed to fixed wing and was the Managing Director of Aero Contractors. He always preferred to keep on flying and changed to the role of Deputy Managing Director so he could fly every day. A few years ago he stepped down from the job, but continued as a consultant to the company, whilst continuing to fly the Boeing 737. He's had a lot of influence in getting the company to where it stands today and is widely respected by his colleagues in both fixed wing and rotary divisions.

Good luck in whatever you do next Nabil