PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions About AS 350 BA Flight Controls
Old 15th Dec 2007, 04:09
RJ Kanary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Questions About AS 350 BA Flight Controls

Look Out! Non- Pilot Type with lots of questions and enough knowledge to be dangerous.
I just watched a program here in the Colonies pertaining the loss of control and subsequent survivable impact of this ship, N4NY back in 2004.My first question is, does there exist any actual mechanical connection between the controls in the cockpit and the items they control?
The NTSB report alludes to the hydraulic pump drive belt, {The EARLIER flat type.} having been installed 'inside out'.This resulted in the "in flight failure".This situation left the pilot in what appears to have been an ugly situation, and I'm trying to figure out what control he had, if any, with no boost available.
Is it similar to being in an automobile or truck that suddenly looses power assist, but can still be controlled by adrenaline fueled Herculean effort, or is it like some off road equipment that is fully hydraulically controlled, so that when the pump goes on strike, the steering wheel becomes a curious ornament,(And something to hang onto until the crashing stops.) ?????????