PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landing - Sorrento Vic. (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 03:15
Continental-520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearing Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Righto I've just created an account so I can just clear up any errors...

Firsty I used to fly VH-JDI, otherwise known as the plane that crashed today, I can tell everyone that there is no such thing as "detachable wings", there is no button/lever/switch/pin/etc to disconnect the wings from the aircraft.

Under my understanding, (I trained in JDI fairly recently, with Peter Bini Adv Flight Training until their takeover), the pilot executed a textbook emergency landing, he even managed to call a mayday, which was tracked.

The main thing is that he managed to get all occupants out with out substantially harming them and himself.

Under my knowledge it is best to use the wings to slow the aircraft down once the craft has entered known terrain, using the fuselage is effective only if you are intending to harm yourself...i.e. use the wings to slow the plane.

Unfortunately the pilot did not quite make it too the golf course, perhaps he did hit the power lines, I'm not sure but I know power lines are incredibly hard to see against the ground due to lack of contrast. So if he did hit power lines that would probably explain why the wings are 20m behind.

It's an unfortunate loss-I loved flying that little plane, sure it was old (it was made in '74, I think, but it had comfy seats and the old style dash [I fly the newer C172S glass cockpit now])...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Funny man.