PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - migranes?
Thread: migranes?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2007, 00:31
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
When people publish papers like this, I often wonder if they have a clue about the environment that's being considered.

It must be manifestly obvious to anyone that has observed a patient in the middle of a bad attack, that it is a totally disabling malaise. A sufferer of Classical Migraine simply should not make a career in commercial aviation.

However...I have suggested in the past, that say, a teenager--that has one, or perhaps two episodes and then none for some years--might be at no more risk than an older person that is going through a traumatic phase of their life. Migraine strikes at people when they least need it.

The 'triggers' like chocolate and cheese, are perhaps little more than that: a shock to a system that is already primed. In my opinion, it is getting rid of the route cause that will be the answer.

I have just finished a book about perhaps the world's first neurologist. I'll perhaps put my thoughts about this in a post when I get a moment. But for now, it mentions perhaps the first really well documented account of a migraine sufferer, Lady Anne Conway. mid 1600s. She was a very intelligent woman by the sound of it, but her introspective nature, again in my opinion, may have been the reason for her repeated attacks. It followed a pattern: the mind determining a threat, and taking the first step to causation. In other words, and this is an important point, worrying about the possibility of an attack, caused migraine.