PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Touch & Gos allowed
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 18:18
Tootles the Taxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW / L a B

This nonsense about the ADF & Txpdr has now surpassed the point of sensible discussion; L a B are you honestly a
real 737 pilot?
OAT are not trying to fleece anyone; you don't get any less hours for your money; fuel savings would be marginal when you consider the somewhat benevolent logging system used (max 15min taxy for the purpose of training) i.e. how much fuel is consumed whilst early students run through checklists, learn how to taxy, pre-takeoff checks etc over 150hrs. This would easily negate any savings made by reduced fuel consumption over the relatively few solo full-stop/taxy back lessons during a typical course.
To my knowledge, no other FTO works like this i.e in the students favour.

The other advantage of full-stops vs touch & go's is that rather than learning how to touch wheels at 65kts & go (relatively little time spent on runway & little chance of deviation) you actually learn the correct landing process of approach, roundout, flare, touchdown, deceleration, rollout & taxyoff (just like proper 737 pilots ) which requires greater skill & discipline - in my humble opinion.

The reason for the adoption of this practice is safety, pure & simple.

Happy, stable approaches...& landings.