PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL @ British Airways Flying Club High Wycombe Or Stapleford Essex?
Old 14th Dec 2007, 16:08
Hampshire Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I did my PPL and IMC at BAFC and have flown with a number of their instructors. I couldn't criticise any of them. The CFI did my IMC exam and despite something of a fearsome reputation was actually very calm, clear and helpful throughout. Dick did my PPL exam - again very calm - as S. Empson has said.

The fleet of a/c is maintained very well, as Katherine says - Jerry and his team are the most conscientious engineers I have found. If there is a fault, it the a/c is grounded or the fault deferred based on a decision made by the on-site engineering team.

The flying order book and other rules taught provide a sound basis for safe flying - I still use them as my own SoPs now.

Sadly, my own instructor recently retired from training, but I still try to get to fly with him from time to time - long after qualifying.

I have not tried WAC, but Cabair are renowned for high prices an 'extras'.

Only one thing though, you wouldn't know it - because they haven't told the members - but BAFC, or rather Airways Aero Association (the owning company) has recently been sold. Search on BAFC and you'll find a thread on 'Changes at Wycombe'. Who knows what this will mean in reality?

HH