PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP SAVE GA IN THE UK - Save the IMCR
Old 14th Dec 2007, 13:41
Humaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere (the topic is spread across many threads and it's quite unwieldy) but I received this in response to an email Isent on the subject to the MEP in my area (rather more effective I hope than signing a petition, though I'll happily do that too)

It appears there is at least one MEP (Conservative Spokesman on Transport) who will be personally affected by this, which is a good sign....

"Pilot licenses under threat*from the new EU aviation safety agency

Strasbourg, 13th December 2007 --*Timothy Kirkhope MEP, Conservative Transport Spokesman in the European Parliament, warned that pilots of small planes and aircraft training schools*might face burdensome red tape if bad weather flying is*regulated by the new European Aviation Security Agency.

The Instrument Meteorological Conditions Rating (IMC) which allows UK pilots to fly in unfavourable weather conditions is now under threat from new powers given to the European Aviation Safety Agency - which is slowly replacing the current national regulator in the UK, the CAA. According to Mr Kirkhope the impact could be*serious*for the small aircraft industry.

He said: "The IMC Rating was designed for peculiarly British weather conditions. If the EU scraps it the British light aviation industry*could* be hit hard. It would mean that thousands of pilots*might either*have their flying*licence rating revoked or have to spend a lot of money and time obtaining a higher European rating.**

Mr Kirkhope, who*himself holds a pilot's license*and IMC rating,*addressed Transport Commissioner Jacques Barrot and said: "Please Commissioner, reassure me and other pilots about this. EASA's performance has been unacceptable and I am afraid it is not yet fit for purpose."*

Mr Kirkhope is now seeking an early meeting with Commissioner Barrot to discuss the issue*and to*try to find a solution to the problems. "*