PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 11:36
Padhist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you fly the Vulcan

Myself and a canadian Sqdn.Ldr. completed the 230 OCU course at Waddington on Vulcans specifically to carry out the tests on the automatic landing capability, at RAE Bedford.( Blind Landing Unit)
It was realised that in the event of a nucleur attack upon the UK it would be necessary to disperse the Vulcan squadrons around the country regardless of any weather conditions.
The equipment, which included,autopilot and auto throttle, worked really well and I would say the Vulcan was the most impressive of the aircraft it was used on.

Imagine my surprise, when,some years later, on a visit to a Greenham Common display day. My Son in Law managed to get me into a 50 Sqdn Vulcan, whilst looking around the cockpit and reminding myself of the blind landing controls, my host, a young Flt Lt Pilot said " You seem to know what those controls are" I explained and he said " We have often wondered, but certainly never used them".When I think how much the system would have been appreciated by the crews.Furthermore had it been available to XA 897 the London Airport crash could have been avoided.