PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford (OAT) Skills Assessment
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2007, 09:42
chris-squire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi....

I can't really add to the OAT Assessment as I haven't done it but I am starting at Cabair in the new year and had to pass their assessment day at Cranfield so can add a bit on that.

This may or may not help but here goes....

MEET AND GREET

This happens at about 08.30-08.45 in the reception area. The building is fairly easy to find with the help of Tom Tom but would definitely recommend leaving yourself plenty of time to get there! Keren came out to introduce herself etc and then took us through to their offices where we were given a brief form to fill in and running order for the day and had a chance to ask any initial questions.

MATHS & PHYSICS ASSESSMENTS

These are multiple choice lasting about 90 mins EACH and are not exactly PHd level. However, don't take this as being easy either! There are some fairly easy questions and some really not so easy. Revision and Practice are the keys to getting through these aspects. Just think of them as a necessary evil and all will be fine!

LUNCH

They have a pretty modern cafeteria there serving decent food. Well recommended before embarking on PILAPT in the afternoon!

PILAPT

There's loads of feedback on this all over the web so won't bore you but I seriously recommend the PILAPT Prep software! It's only £20 of £30 and is the best revision I could have done! It gives you so much confidence when the instrcutions screen comes up and you already know exactly what you have to do.

The only thing that the software doens't prepare you for are the excercises which use the joystick. But as said many a time before, this isn't exactly difficult and particuarly if you're from the Nintendo and Flight Sim generation such as myself!

I know this sounds odd but I really enjoyed PILAPT (apart from shape recognition in clutter, that was bloody awful but I did enough to go through)

INTERVIEW

This was with Tim Sharland as Keren was busy in a meeting with the recruitment director from BA. (which gave me some confidence that BA obviously believe in them so why shouldn't I! I'm sure that will provolke some other comments)

I have seen some bad reports about Tim on here but I can only go from what I have seen....I found him to be a really decent guy. He told it as it is, gave me my resuts (passed) and gave me some good feedback on how I had done throughout the day overall. Also gave me some pointers on where I need to improve before I start ATPL's which was useful.

This stage of the process is the last bit and takes about 30 mins and you are free to go straight after.

Key Points of this being for anyone looking at assessments: -

Dress Smart
Try to relax
Revise your arse off for any part of the assessment that you can revise (i.e maths, physics and some parts of PILAPT)!!! Trust me, this will give you confidence!

Hope this helps someone guys. At the very least it will give you an idea of the Cabair Assessment compared to the OAT assessment in the same thread.

For furtehr details of any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Chris