PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Route ?
Thread: Which Route ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 14:20
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Firstly welcome to PPRUNE.

And secondly, I think you should very quicky bin the idea of option 5. If you have always wanted to fly, you will kick yourself for the rest of your life wondering what if, so that leaves you with 4 options.
The bottom line with this business mate, is all the options will work, however, you have to make a decision that is right for you and your circumstances. It would appear from your post that you are in the process in making some mature decisions, which is something positive.

Another thing to consider is the recruitment, selection and the demand for pilots has a tendancy to change. You will have probably noticed that alot of people with low hours, are sliding into the right hand seat of a jet. I guess one of the reasons for this is it is no longer necessary under JAR to obtain 700 hours to get CPL issued. Therefore this is making the flight instructor route less attractive and now a shortage of instructors. I do not really know much about the RAF, only that I was too old when I applied . However, I am sure you will receive first class training, but as you said the competition is very stiff. This fact is not just applicable to the RAF though, it is applicable to the whole industry.

Personally, and this is only my opinion, so please do not jump down my throat (fellow PPRUNERS), if money is an issue go down the modular route. As you say you will save yourself a few quid and at the end of the day you will still pop out of the end of your training with CPL/IR with frozen ATPL. One piece of advice I would give you, is think beyond the end. Make sure, once you have finished your training keep current, one way or another, or you will get on the saw tooth learning curve, and it will cost you a lot more money! The modular route will give you the oppotunity to be shrewd with those hard earned dollars, and pick and choose where you want to go.

I know it is difficult mate, but we have all been in your situation. One thing I noticed when I started out some 13 years ago , is as you move forward, things tend to fall into place, you meet people along the way and you develop a tremendous amount of experience. You are only 23, so you have plenty of time on your side. I was 20 when I did my PPL, and had my first flying job at 30 as an instructor and first airline job at 32. Thinking about option 5 again, I can tell you its the best job in the world, so put the idea out of your mind .

All the best with your quest, cheers.

Last edited by CAT3C AUTOLAND; 14th Dec 2007 at 16:41.