PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1969 BP Sponsored London - Sydney Air Race
Old 13th Dec 2007, 12:16
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smitn05 - Had two good friends (Both deceased) Trevor Brougham and Dean Ryan who flew a Bonanza 36 in the race and think they were leading the race, or close to, when they ran out of fuel approaching Griffith (which was a compulsory stop) in New South Wales. The force landing tore out the nose wheel and put them out of the race. One bit of excitement I recall Trevor telling was they flew Singapore - Darwin non stop at 14,000 and no oxygen. Approaching Darwin they got into a spin (night time) when dicing with thunder storms. Recovered at very low altitude and found after refuelling in Darwin that they had had something like three gallons left in the tanks. Trevor could tell a good story but was not inclined to guild the lily. He kept a very good diary, with photos, and have often thought I should get off my backside and see if his widow would allow publication (web site or such). Trevor also set a round the world speed record in a Baron 55 with another friend (also deceased) Bob Dickeson (misreported on many records as Dixon). Don't promise anything but I'll have a rummage around to see if I have any newspaper clippings.

Last edited by Brian Abraham; 14th Dec 2007 at 02:05.