PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are things slowing down?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 10:22
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW makes some extremely valid points here, and without sounding like I am licking his boots, people embarking upon commercial training would be foolish to not take his points into consideration.

I completed my training in the middle of the year. I am ex-modular who went from zero hours to CPL/IR MCC in over a year and a half period. I jacked in a good career in sales and marketing to persue my dream; and I'm bloody glad that I did because it was one of the most enjoyable and challenging things that I have done with my life to date. But it was a risk, undoubtably.

I think people have to be honest with themselves and understand that this is a very fickle industry indeed. No matter how much the likes of the big Integrated Schools brag on about their employment statistics and the 'Global Pilot Shortage,' a bigger picture has to be taken into consideration. Things change rapidly in a matter of months, if not weeks in the airline world. When I started out at the tail end of 2005, CTC were opening it's doors to a vast number of freshly qualified newbees as their very own courses could not cater for the demands of the likes of EZY et.al. Now this scheme no longer exists and we read of a 12 month waiting pool for existing course graduates. Only a single example, but as we can see, much has changed in very little time.

I'd definetly agree with the suggestion of 'training slow.' Largely because things are changing constantly. I would defintely advise people to be prudent and be prepared to adjust their plans. Maybe a good way to go would be to get your CPL and emabark upon an FIC. As you work your way through your training, you can 'read the market' and make your next big step from there. It would probably be the way I would go about things if I was starting out again.

Goodluck to everyone, and enjoy it. I certainly did