Thread: Crab-Bashing
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 09:49
althenick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
althenick
Stop changing the rules. You asked:
Quote:
Now at this point i'd like to ask a question, can any one out in PPRUNE-land name ONE repeat ONE Land based fixed-wing Aircraft that was a great success at sea?
So far we have Spitfire, Hurricane, Vampire, B25, T45 (no mention of Op Capability), Fury, Harrier - so significantly more than ONE repeat ONE
And I would like to add a few more from the very early years of carrier ops!!!
Yesterday 20:41
Roland
Trust me none of these aircraft were regarded as a great success at sea and i'm even going to now include the sea fury. I'm not just talking about it's effectivness in the air but other factors such as range and design for purpose.
Sea Fury - Great A/c but it was already behind it's time - and before anyone says that it could take on a Mig 15 i would say that was down to the pilot being better than his opponent (good kill though )
Hurricane - Too heavy once navalised, also no folding wings
Seafire - Early models - as for hurricane . All Models - also with an extremely high accident rate particularly on retreval.
Vampire - Again wieght and range penalties on Navalisation
B25 - You've piqued my curiosity - did one ever land on a carrier??? Doolitles raid was an excellent idea.
Harrier - Like I said a happy coincidence. It was never invisaged as a sea going A/c when designed but as I said before a Naff Range, but very good at its job.