PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KA's average payrise
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2007, 02:42
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a pay rise enough?

Come on guys, get real, and put a stop to the CX vs KA stuff and unite in the fact that you're all professional flight crew with a common goal. There are many disparities in each and every area of your corporate empires, but the simple fact remains that you all want a decent lifestyle.

There's not much that you can do about the levels of pollution that add to the blight of living and working in HKG; you either like it or lump it, so it really is a question of accepting a temting salary that might keep you there. The only other issue(s) are/is the devious methods that are employed by a 'one sided' rostering agreement that is subject to misinterpretation, i.e. the company reserves the right to a final say in the interpretation of those rules. I feel sure that many people have received the 'blunt end' of just how those rules can be wrongly 'interpreted' by the company; therefore, it's a 'level playing field' that is rightfully requested by those who have experienced the levels of intimidation from the management. Whilst it's one thing to have robust rules in place to ensure that services aren't disrupted, it's entitely another case when 'grey areas' aren't treated with some form of common sense from both parties. Contract Compliance has attempted to address some of those grey areas, yet the management have continued to pressurise flight crew into doing something which is clearly out of order to any sane individual. It really can be a minefield when trying interpret the rules, but it's also true to say that there will never be a truly robust FTL scheme that will adequately address both parties; one or the other (parties) will at sometime or another try to gain the upper hand because they are strapped by circumstances.

When morale is low amongst the flight crew they (the crew) will naturally fight against the management structure. In response, the management will push you to the limits of FTLs; at their ultimate discretion and interpretation of the scheme rules (rightly or wrongly). The (HK)ANO legally gives you the right to pronounce yourself as being unfit for duty if you have had inadequte rest, yet the rules are open to misinterpretation by the company... yet they have the final say in the matter!

My factual example is... If you have planned your sleep period to accommodate a day (twleve hour) duty commencing at 0700L and the company subsequently contacts you on the bus en route to the airport to inform you of a significant delay and that you should return home, but then contact you at 0900L (at home) to say that you are now to report at 2100L for a round trip to TPE; which you do, but then find yourself delayed until a 0200L departure! At midnight I made it clear to CC that I wasn't happy with my crew rest period, inasmuch that it wasn't possible to take another sleep pattern prior to this 'night' duty (despite 12 hours notice). The response was that I had been given adequate rest (12 hours) for the projected duty! I was very tired after a previous duty of three consecutive night duties which ended with a 24 hour rest period into my planned day duty. My 'A' scale captain gave me no support whatsoever and I admit to blowing my top at the Crew Controller... yet we departed at 0200L and returned from TPE at 0900L the next morning. I had now spent 24 hours awake... that was one hell of a grey area; particularly when the F/O had to wake me up at Limes!

Needless to say, I was interviewed by the schoolmaster for the less than professional manner in which I spoke to the duty Crew Controller and a warning letter put on file for my disafection with the company... was I tired? No, I was exhausted! Did I walk from the company? No, I sprinted!

My apologies for such a lengthy missive, but this is only one of many examples that led to my exasperated state of mind and my exodus from KA. It was the worst experience ever of my entire flying career... would a significant payrise have kept me there? I have to give a resounding NO!

It's my hope that your payrise will be matched by a significant increase in quality crew management. I'll say it again... well done to the DPA for making a significant inroad, but don't give up with your attempts to fight for a level playing field.