PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF358 at YYZ report to come out
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2007, 21:59
RatherBeFlying

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Comment to TSB

On the day of the accident, I was following the progress of the thunderstorm line on the NWS Buffalo radar. Upon leaving work at QEW and Hwy 10 (~12 km. due South of the accident runway), I heard the news of the crash as I encountered a rainfall that brought QEW traffic to a halt. It would not surprise me if this was the same cell that made trouble for AFR358.

Whether or not it was, I feel strongly that weather radar returns would constitute an important part of the investigation. While I do see mention that weather radar returns were investigated, I am disappointed that the report omitted to include them in at least the appendices. Sections 2.4.1 Adequacy of Meteorological Data and 2.4.2 Weather Information Provided by Air Traffic Control beg the question that if a qualified person at ATC had access to the meteorological radar whether timely information would have been passed on to ATC and the aircrews.

It would also be of interest to have simulated what the onboard weather radar showed on the aircraft that made approaches and/or have checked with the crews who did approach what their onboard radar displayed.

As noted in the report aircrews are used to making approaches with thunderstorms in the vicinity. Hopefully patterns on onboard radar could be identified so that aircrews could recognise when it's time to hold or divert.